On Sa, 2016-11-19 at 08:56 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Adam Williamson wrote:
> > I think I've proposed at least once that we make Obsoletes: for retired
> > packages mandatory. My last proposal currently seems to be assigned to
> > tibbs.
>
> IMHO, forcefully removing packages that still work is a major disservice to
> our users and should never be done.

That is a non-trivial effort though.  We would have to put the major
shared library version into package names, simliar to debian.

So, when the soname is bumped upstream a new lib${pkg}${new-soname}
package shows up.  The old package lib${pkg}${old-soname} package can
continue to linger around, and obsoleted packages depending on it
continue to work and also don't block lib${pkg} updates because the
update can be installed parallel.

Of course this approach has its downsides too, like the more complex
maintainance, lib*${old-soname} packages piling up over time, and
probably more I'm not aware of ...

cheers,
  Gerd