On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 03:17:53PM -0400, Kyle Marek wrote:
> On 06/25/2018 02:49 PM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > But it's useful for unattended systems in general, be it servers or
> > appliances: if a boot fails there generally should be a way to recover
> > the system through rebooting without manual interfering. Quite
> > frankly, it's quite surprising we haven't implemented anything like
> > that on Fedora/RHEL at all yet, as it's a major piece in making
> > unattended system updates less risky.
>
> I'm still not a fan. I'm not convinced that an issue that is correctable
> by booting an old kernel could be caused by a system being left
> "unattended". Systems should never automatically reboot due to a kernel
> update, and kernel updates really should be given administrator
> attention simply *because* of the potential boot issues.

Why not? If the administrator can arrange for reliable automated updates
across machines (in a rolling fashion, stopping the process and
reverting to the previous version on update failures), why would she
want to baby-sit every single machine?

You probably don't want to do this if all you have is a single machine
but for fleets of mostly-interchangable servers (hosting VMs or
containers), doing it this way makes perfect sense *if* it is reliable.