On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 at 11:45, <mcatanz...@gnome.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 5:36 PM, Matthew Miller <mat...@fedoraproject.org>
> wrote:
>
> But there are some good cases for a longer lifecycle. For one thing, this has
> been a really big blocker for getting Fedora shipped on hardware. Second,
> there are people who really could be happily running Fedora but since we
> don't check the tickbox, they don't even look at us seriously. I'd love to
> change these things. To do that, we need something that lasts for 36-48
> months.
>

> Is 36 months an absolute minimum for getting onto consumer laptops?
>
> Don't underestimate the difficulty of adding an extra year. 48 months is a
> *lot* harder than 36.  36 is a lot harder than 24 or 27 (2 years plus 3 month
> upgrade window).

From what I have talked with in the past.. 3 years is their bare
minimum and 7 is their what we really want. It usually takes the
vendor about 3-6 months of work to make sure the OS works on their
hardware without major problems and then they want people to buy
support contracts for 3-5 years where the number of problems needed in
year 3-5 are none. [This means that they want to have Fedora N for 3-6
months before their laptops ship with it. So you ship them a frozen
preload before you release to public. They also want any shipped to
'last' for the warranty cycle because trying to deal with update
questions when N eol's in the middle costs them a lot.]

This matches the majority of laptop buyers whether they are developers
or home users. They cycle a laptop 4 to 5 years with 7-8 looking to be
the new average. They also don't update their OS unless it does it
auto-magically for them.  This is where the majority of profits for
laptop sales come from so the manufacturers aim to please this segment
most. There isn't a large margin on laptop sales anymore

--
Stephen J Smoogen.