Adam Williamson píše v Út 30. 06. 2020 v 08:25 -0700:
> On Tue, 2020-06-30 at 16:23 +0200, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
> > W dniu 30.06.2020 o 15:34, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson pisze:
> > > Given Hans proposal [1] introduced systemd/grub2/Gnome upstream
> > > changes it beg the question if now would not be the time to stop
> > > supporting booting in legacy bios mode and move to uefi only
> > > supported boot which has been available on any common intel based
> > > x86
> > > platform since atleast 2005.
> >
> > Will you provide replacement for laptop I bought in 2013? Still has
> > some
> > use, runs Fedora 31 just fine. BIOS mode only.
> >
> > My other PC at home is BIOS mode only too. Sure, it is FX-6300 so
> > quite
> > old but with some hard drives and 16GB of ram it has a use.
>
> I'm also still using a laptop from 2010:
>
> https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/sony-vaio-z-series-vpc-z11z9e-b-13-1in-laptop
>
> it has outlived one 'replacement' so far, and my 3.5 year old XPS 13
> (9360 gen) recently stopped booting so unless I can fix that, it will
> have outlived two...
>
> it has no UEFI support either.

I maintain the following laptops in our family:
ThinkPad R61
ThinkPad T400s
ThinkPad X201
Macbook Pro 2010

All of them don't support UEFI, but run Fedora 32 just fine and are
still useful to my relatives. I think one of the important roles of
Linux distributions is that they allow you to keep using hardware that
has been obsoleted by its vendors, help you fight the planned
obsolescence.
I know that supporting old hardware comes at a cost and at some point
we just have to make a cut, but doing it for hardware that is 8-10
years old is not much better than the planned obsolescence.

Jiri