On Sun, Jul 05, 2020 at 01:11:08AM -0700, John M. Harris Jr wrote:
> On Sunday, July 5, 2020 1:03:34 AM MST Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> > It would be great that the installer, Anaconda, enables sd-boot for
> > users running on UEFI system. The method was done before with both LILO
> > and Grub decades ago and it was very surprising very few thought of that
> > process especially for a distribution aiming to use latest technology.
> >
> > The question is for contributors running on legacy BIOS if they are
> > willing to maintain it while the installer can focus to effectively use
> > sd-boot.
>
> systemd-boot isn't really an option. It doesn't have the features that are
> necessary for Fedora systems to actually be able to boot. It'd work on
> Workstation, maybe, if they think their users will never need to know they're
> even using a bootloader, and won't put /boot on LVM or LUKs encrypt it.

Default fedora disk layout in UEFI mode is partitions for ESP, /boot and
LVM.  If you ask for full disk encryption LVM is encrypted, ESP + boot
are not.  Which makes sense to me.  Why would you encrypt /boot?  The
files you can find there are public anyway, you can download them from
the fedora servers.  Encrypting /boot would make the boot process more
fragile for no benefit.

sd-boot still wouldn't work out-of-the-box though, due to /boot being
xfs not vfat and firmware typically not shipping with xfs drivers.

We could that by using vfat for /boot.  Or by shipping & using xfs.efi,
simliar to how apple ships & uses apfs.efi to boot macOS from apfs
filesystems.

take care,
  Gerd