On Fri, 2020-07-24 at 10:31 +0200, Fabio Valentini wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm starting to see various very strange kinds of build failures in
> rawhide, that seem to have started with either of these updates (or a
> combination of them):
>
> - annobin 9.21-1.fc33 → 9.22-1.fc33
> - binutils 2.34.0-6.fc33 → 2.34.0-7.fc33
> - elfutils 0.179-2.fc33 → 0.180-2.fc33
> - glibc 2.31.9000-13.fc33 → 2.31.9000-14.fc33
>
> These rawhide updates all happened at roughly the same time, so it's
> difficult to say which one of them is to blame (if any of them).
>
> One error I've seen in libreoffice is a gcc / annobin segfault:
>
> [build CXX] vcl/unx/gtk3/gtk3gtkinst.cxx
> *** WARNING *** there are active plugins, do not report this as a bug
> unless you can reproduce it without enabling any plugins.
> Event                            | Plugins
> PLUGIN_FINISH_UNIT               | annobin: Generate final annotations
> PLUGIN_START_UNIT                | annobin: Generate global annotations
> PLUGIN_ALL_PASSES_START          | annobin: Generate per-function annotations
> PLUGIN_ALL_PASSES_END            | annobin: Register per-function end symbol
> /builddir/build/BUILD/libreoffice-6.4.5.2/vcl/workben/vcldemo.cxx: In
> destructor 'virtual DemoWin::RenderThread::~RenderThread()':
> /builddir/build/BUILD/libreoffice-6.4.5.2/vcl/workben/vcldemo.cxx:1733:18:
> internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
>  1733 |             join();
This sounds like a compiler bug.  Can you try adding
"%define _lto_cflags %{nil}"

To the .spec file and see if that gets you over the hump?  I've seen one failure
of this nature in my LTO testing and haven't gotten around to producing a
bugreport suitable for upstream (but the affected package has LTO disabled to
keep it from failing its builds).  My tester reports that it's never got a clean
control build of libreoffice, so I've never dug into it for any LTO specific
failures.

>       |                  ^
>
> Other errors look like this one from switchboard-plug-onlineaccounts:
>
> src/libonline-accounts.so.p/Authentification/Server.c: In function
> ‘online_accounts_server_on_bus_acquired’:
> src/libonline-accounts.so.p/Authentification/Server.c:498:2: error:
> function ‘__errno_location’ is initialized like a variable
>   498 |  gint errno = 0;
>       |  ^~~~
>
> Where errno is neither __errno_location, nor a function, but a gint??
This is more likely related to the glibc update.

> Other failures I've seen end up with linker failures, line these, from
> postgresql:
>
> ld: undefined reference to `postgresql_subtrans__checkpoint__start_semaphore'
This is a known interaction between stap/dtrace probes and LTO.  I've already
fixed postgresql to avoid LTO until we fix this issue on the GCC side.

jeff