On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 01:37:08PM -0600, Justin Forbes wrote:
> > For kernel, the only bug on the GCC side I'm aware of is
> > https://gcc.gnu.org/PR101941
>
> We are seeing similar issues in a few different files depending on
> arch.  Largely due to options compiled in and compile order, nothing
> particularly arch specific.  All of the failures are with
> fortify_string, some are read beyond size of object.  Some are write
> beyond size of object.  Some are directive output may be truncated.
> These kernels all build fine against f35 and stable fedora kernels
> fail against rawhide, so it is definitely the toolchain changes, and
> not limited to bad code brought in through the 5.17 merge window.  A
> good sampling of the errors can be seen in the build log for
> https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=81369256 with most
> arches failing in different places.

All I've looked at (besides PR101941) was
check.c:2836:58: error: '%d' directive output may be truncated writing between
1 and 10 bytes into a region of size 9 [-Werror=format-truncation=]
which boils down to roughly:
char a[16];
void f (int x, int y)
{
  int idx;
  if (y)
    {
      idx = x / sizeof (void *);
      snprintf (a, sizeof a, "pv_ops[%d]", idx);
    }
}
where the warning doesn't seem to be a false positive,
though perhaps it would need to be a very large module.
pv_ops[-268435456] is the longest string for lp64 and
pv_ops[-536870912] for ilp32, but even when not negative,
pv_ops[536870911] is 18 bytes including zero termination, not 16.
If you have other warnings and they seem to be false positives, please
send them to Martin Sebor.

        Jakub