On Thu, Aug 25, 2022 at 9:58 AM Miro Hrončok <mhron...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> during our Nest FESCo session, we've talked about enabling Koschei [1] for all
> packages automatically.
>
> There seem to be a consensus by FESCo members, that it would be a good thing.
>
> What would it take?
>
> 1) Koji resources
>
> I think we can try to enable this and see if it burns. I think ti won't.

Doesn't koschei have some built-in rate-limiting?
If necessary, we could probably just adjust the priority threshold
above which scratch builds are triggered.

> 2) One-time enablement of all existing packages
>
> That should be doable. Right?

Yeah that should be pretty simple. Get list of source packages in
$release, paste it into the "Add packages" page, set release combobox
to $release, submit.
I do that regularly for all Rust packages.

> 3) Automatic enablement of all new packages
>
> That should be just a matter of changing the defaults. Correct?

I think so. koschei already knows about all packages - I think it
syncs with PDC. So that process could possibly be adapted to not only
add the package to the koschei database, but also set the "tracked"
boolean to "true" by default instead of "false" by default.

> Can we do this? How can I help?

I think we can, and I think we should.
Even though scratch builds only run on x86_64, ppc64le, and aarch64
(and don't expose s390x and i686 build failures), it's still a very
valuable service.
I use it extensively to monitor the Rust stack for new build failures
(because I'm pushing dozens of updates every week and I want to know
about unintended breakage ASAP).

If there's something that I can do to help make "koschei tracking for
all packages on all branches by default" happen, I'll help too :)

Fabio