On Wed, Dec 21, 2022 at 10:16:58AM -0600, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <zbys...@in.waw.pl> said:
> > Without an initrd we immediately have the following limitations:
> > - all kernel modules needed to mount root must be compiled in
> > - all that code is always loaded and remains in unswappable memory
> > - root= syntax is limited to what the kernel understands, i.e.
> >   no root=UUID=… o root=/dev/disk/by-path/… or other udev links,
> >   no encryption or dm-verity.
> > - no bluetooth keyboards or other fancy peripherals
> > - recovery is pretty hard
>
> Also, the security lock-down for the kernel command line means:
> - no network root filesystem
> - no boot-time-only kernel/module configuration
>
> The idea of switching from grub2 to sd-boot would also drop network boot
> and BIOS support.  Supporting boot loaders seems to be a bit of a issue
> sometimes, so trying to support multiple boot loaders seems like a bad
> idea to me.

The switch to BootLoaderSpec made switching boot loaders *much* easier.
The actual boot loader config is fixed and never touched, kernel updates
add/remove BLS config snippets, and all boot loaders handle that just
fine.

You can even have *two* bootloaders, sd-boot for efi mode and grub2 for
bios mode.

take care,
  Gerd