On Sunday, 01 January 2022 at 20:51, Fabio Valentini wrote:
[...]
> Additionally, not having Release counter and changelog in the .spec
> file means that you can usually freely cherry-pick or merge bug-fix
> commits across different dist-git branches. This wasn't possible
> without rpmautospec due to merge conflicts caused by different Release
> counter or changelog contents.

Personally, I use the kernel's recommended commit to the oldest
supported branch and merge upwards workflow and I've learned not to be
afraid of merge commits. If any branch needs some specific fixes,
I just apply them there and only there, without using spec conditionals.
This keeps the specfiles clean and readable, even if they differ
between branches. Obviously, this can't be (easily) automated and
doesn't scale to hundreds or thousands of packages, but it works well
for leaf packages.

rpmautospec doesn't work with the above workflow as it breaks on those
merge commits, produces bogus changelog messages and artificially
inflates Release counters.

Regards,
Dominik
--