On Fri, Jan 27, 2023 at 18:43:56 -0800,
 Gordon Messmer <gordon.mess...@gmail.com> wrote:

Second, I'd like to suggest that in the future, at least in Fedora, for any "install" or "update" operation that dnf performs, dnf's default behavior should be checking all of the direct and indirect dependencies of the packages being installed (or updated) and updating any dependencies which have updates available.

Does anyone else have any opinions on the subject? Should I simply file a bug against dnf proposing this behavior?

If there is a problem with not uodating dependencies when you do an install or an update on selected packages, the packages dependencies are not properly defined.

I think the case where you don't want to keep the full system up to date, but a selective update or install causes problems as well is pretty rare. I think it might be reasonable to have an option that requests doing a recursive update. I would consider this to be a low priority feature request that has to compete with all of the other work being done on dnf, rather than a bug. I don't work on dnf and the people that do might feel differently.