> On Sat, Mar 4, 2023 at 8:13 AM Michael J Gruber <mjg(a)fedoraproject.org&gt;
> wrote:
>

> Compatibility packages do not get a "compat-" prefix any more; they only
> get a version suffix. The old portmidi could be portmidi217 (to match the
> old versioning) or possibly portmidi0 (to match the soversion). It's also
> preferred (but I'm not sure that it's written down or is just a discussion
> within the FPC right now) that the un-suffixed version is the latest one.
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/Naming/#multiple

Good point. Whether it's required or just preferred - it's a recommendation
which I should follow, and why I've been asking here :)

It forces depending packages to choose between changing their BuildRequires (to
the new name for the old version) or adjusting if needed (to the new version).

It also forces me to introduce epoch so that version 2.0.4 will be an update of
the existing 217, right?

Now the big question is: In which releases can I rename the package? I'm afraid
the answer will be "rawhide only", which means "new" portmidi will be in Fedora
39 only. Or can I have "portmidi0 + portmidi" there and "portmidi + portmidi2"
in releases branches?

> Compatibility packages do not need a review.
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/ReviewGuideline...

That much is clear. Your preference provides an answer to another question of
mine: "... and MUST NOT conflict with all other versions of the same package."
So, while openssl seems to violate that for whatever reasons, I cannot do the
same.

So, technically speaking:
- I go through the new-package process for a new package (the compat package)
but note that no review is required.
- Import the package (and history) into the newly created dist-git repo and
rewrite the spec for the new name (portmidi0 or such).
- Update the package in the old dist-git repo to the new repo.

Or do I request a new repo "portmidi2" and build the new "portmidi" from there
("and portmidi0" from the "portmidi" dist-git repo)?