> On 6/22/23 06:21, Gordon Messmer wrote:
>
> That's how I understand it well and I'm a bit confused what's the
> "fuss" about. The git.centos.org mirrored sources that were used to build
> CentOS. Since CentOS is no longer supported, and we have the CentOS Stream,
> the same is
> true - the sources are still available, just at different location [0]. So
> this
> doesn't seem like RH is "locking things down", just getting rid of things
> that are not needed anymore.
>
> Note that I'm in a no way endorsing the change, I'm just trying to understand
> what's the big deal (if there's any).
>
> [0] https://gitlab.com/redhat/centos-stream/rpms
> [1] https://vault.centos.org/centos/8-stream/

The big deal is that it sends wrong signals at the wrong time. Within the last
few weeks, we had out of the blue (pun intended):
- Lay-off of the Fedora Program Manager
- Dropping LO packages and dependencies the hard way (orphan first, announce
later when the rubbles are crumbling)
- Retreating from GPL's source distribution requirement to the bare minimum (or
less, I'm no lawyer)

In each case, the way it was done and communicated was literally begging for
bad press.

In the specific case of RHEL srpms, it makes life harder for EPEL packagers
because you can't look at the source easily when they are problems between RHEL
and EPEL packages. It matches well with RH's standard of shipping libraries
without headers etc - it is easier for them and limits the scope of support
contracts but makes upstream's life harder.

So, the signal is either "we don't care about our upstream" or "we do not
understand upstream's importance and concerns".

And that is why packagers may consider dropping EPEL branches and let RH pick
from Fedora what they want - at the expense of having to support it themselves.
That will reduce RHEL to a pure enterprise distribution without community. Is
that what their customers want?

Groundhog day.