Miroslav Suchý venit, vidit, dixit 2023-08-23 20:22:42:
> Do you want to make Fedora 39 better? Please spend 1 minute of your time and
> try to run:
>
> # Run this only if you use default Fedora modules
> # next time you run any DNF command default modules will be enabled again
> sudo dnf module reset '*'
>
> dnf --releasever=39 --setopt=module_platform_id=platform:f39 \
> --enablerepo=updates-testing \
> $(rpm -q fedora-repos-modular >/dev/null && echo
> --enablerepo=updates-testing-modular) \
> --assumeno distro-sync
>

> This command does not replace `dnf system-upgrade`, but it will reveal
> potential problems.
>
> You may also run `dnf upgrade` before running this command.
>

> The `--assumeno` will just test the transaction, but does not make the actual
> upgrade.
>

> In case you hit dependency issues, please report it against the appropriate
> package.
>
> Or against fedora-obsolete-packages if that package should be removed in
> Fedora 39. Please check existing reports
> against fedora-obsolete-packages first:
>
> https://red.ht/2kuBDPu
>
> and also there is already bunch of "Fails to install" (F39FailsToInstall)
> reports:
>
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?bug_id=2168845&bug_id_type=anddependson&format=tvp&list_id=12486533
>

> Two notes:
>
> * you may want to run the same command with dnf5 to help test new dnf.
>
> * this command found zero issues on my personal system - great work all
> everybody!

Yep, fantastic work! No problems here, except: I want to upgrade to F39
now :)

dnf4 and dnf5 report the exact same number of packages - and dnf5 does
so blazingly fast. I want it now!

The order of information is different. In particular, dnf5 reports:
- Removing
- Downgrading
- Upgrading
- Installing dependencies
- Installing weak dependencies

At first I thought it missed remove/downgrade, because they came before
the gazillion of upgrades. I understand why that order makes sense
logically, but the consequence is that you don't see the first two at
all for a distro-sync, unless you pipe to less or have infinite scroll
back.

The dnf4 order makes sense, too, (expected upgrades, then exceptions)
and does not lead to the scroll back buffer problem for large upgrades.

Michael