On Wed, Feb 28, 2024 at 11:24:41AM +0100, Karel Zak wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 27, 2024 at 08:15:49PM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> >
> > https://gitlab.com/cki-project/kernel-ark/-/commit/ed5ba266c61e01a52359b5793a627e7c9aae8854
> >
> > Why wasn't this a Fedora change proposal?
> >
> > Also the justification given for such a major change is very thin.
> > I'm sure product security can give us some more details of precisely
> > what exploits will be mitigated, in the change proposal.
>
> You can restore the original behavior by using:
>
>     # sysctl kernel.dmesg_restrict=0
>
> However, be aware of the security consequences ;-)

Right ... which are what exactly?

I don't have untrusted local users, and if I wanted to host untrusted
local users I'd need to do a lot of extra lock down, so perhaps the
default here can be kernel.dmesg_restrict=0 with
kernel.dmesg_restrict=1 being used on locked down systems.

Rich.

nbdkit - Flexible, fast NBD server with plugins
https://gitlab.com/nbdkit/nbdkit