On Wed, Feb 28, 2024 at 11:33 AM Peter Robinson <pbrobin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Feb 2024 at 20:59, Gursewak Singh <gurss...@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > In Fedora 40, Podman has undergone a major version upgrade to v5 [1],
> > introducing some breaking changes. Notably, CNI networking support has been
> > discontinued in favor of Netavark, and cgroups v1 support has been
> > deprecated in favor of cgroups v2.
> >
> > To know whether your nodes are affected, you can use podman info and look
> > for the cgroupVersion and networkBackend keys.
> >
> > If you're using cgroups v1, migrating to cgroups v2 is strongly
> > recommended, as a future Podman version will no longer support cgroups v1.
> > Kernel arguments can be adjusted to use cgroups v2 with rpm-ostree kargs
> > [2].
> >
> > If you're using CNI networking, transitioning to Netavark requires running
> > podman system reset --force, leading to the deletion of images, containers,
> > and custom networks. Depending on your setup, it may be preferable to
> > reprovision the entire machine from the latest images to allow for Ignition
> > to bring up containerized applications from scratch.
> >
> > If you have any feedback or encounter issues related to the aforementioned
> > changes, please don't hesitate to participate in the upstream issue
> > discussion [3].
>
> Sounds like a change of this size should have been a System Wide change.

Technically, it was ... it was approved 2 months ago:
https://pagure.io/fesco/issue/3126#comment-890379

> transitioning to Netavark requires running podman system reset --force,
> leading to the deletion of images, containers, and custom networks

However, this was not explicitly mentioned in the Change Proposal,
only some vague sentence about "upgradability":
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Podman5#Upgrade/compatibility_impact

So I'm not sure if FESCo was aware of this issue when the Proposal was voted on.

Fabio