On Mon, May 13, 2024 at 3:23 PM Vít Ondruch <vondr...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Dne 27. 04. 24 v 6:58 Neal Gompa napsal(a):
>
> * Switch to python-style compat/main packages.  In order to make the
> packaging more
> consistent between the main package (e.g. llvm) and the compat package (e.g.
> llvm18),
> we would retire the un-versioned dist-git for llvm, and create a new
> versioned dist-git
> for each new release (e.g. llvm19, llvm20, llvm21 etc.).  We would then
> designate one
> of these as the 'main version', and that version would produce binary rpms
> that look
> like the current main package (i.e. llvm-libs instead of  llvm19-libs).
>
> Ehh? I guess? I don't think this buys us that much.
>
> * Invert the order of compat/main packages.  Instead of having the compat
> package be
> the old version, and the main package be the new version, we would have the
> compat package
> be newer and the main package be older.  This would allow us to introduce a
> new version of
> llvm without impacting other packages that depend on the main version of LLVM.
>
> I don't like this idea, it makes things harder to reason about and
> doesn't actually solve any problems.
>

> I concur with Neal here.
>
> I we were living in ideal world, we would have just one `llvm` package. Since
> we are not living in ideal world, it makes sense to have some compat
> versions. But we should try to get as close as possible to ideal world.
> Versioning packages by default goes against that goal, because it encourages
> sticking to some specific version for no particular reason.

For the special case of LLVM, I disagree here. Some projects are just
not compatible with newer LLVM versions until upstream moves first,
and that can take time. So I don't think that counts as "sticking to
some specific version for no particular reason", it's "upstream
doesn't support LLVM X at all yet, they only support LLVM X-1 for
now". I have never seen a Fedora package that uses an LLVM compat
package "for no particular reason".

Fabio