Martin Stransky venit, vidit, dixit 2024-05-17 11:04:47:
> On 5/17/24 10:47, Vitaly Zaitsev via devel wrote:
> > On 17/05/2024 10:38, Martin Stransky wrote:
> >> Hm, does really KDE Plasma access Firefox profile and searches it for
> >> anything? That's interesting. Can you point me to any info about it?
> >
> > It looks like it copies Firefox's *.sqlite databases to
> > ~/.cache/bookmarksrunner on every user login and then uses them:
> >
> > $ ls ~/.cache/bookmarksrunner/ | grep firefox
> > bookmarkrunnerfirefoxdbfile.sqlite
> > bookmarkrunnerfirefoxfavdbfile.sqlite
> > KRunner-Favicons-firefox-default
>
> I see. I don't think it's useful for gnome search as it uses live data
> (also from recently visited URL) and also sorts results for popularity.
> It should give you the same results as writing directly to Firefox URL bar.

This feature looks more and more confusing.

How do the search providers (be it Gnome's or Plasma's variant) decide
which Firefox Profile to scrape?

I know that profiles are no security feature, but they serve a purpose
as separating different use cases/"realms" which a user operates in.

So, which databases does the Plasma version copy?

If I have several FF instances running (-no-remote), which one does
Gnome search talk to?

Do they do similar stuff with Chrome or other browsers?

Michael