On Sun, 2011-11-06 at 23:33 +0000, Bojan Smojver wrote:
> Please, just give me the name of _one_ user that got _distracted_ by the
> taskbar in Gnome (or any other OS, for that matter).

Look at the value of the « From: » header of this email for a name of
such a user.

>  The name of one user that
> was tempted to switch tasks just because the taskbar/workspace switcher was
> there. One.

I wasn't tempted to switch task just because the switcher was there.

But certainly, I got very distracted every time something would happen
in another window and that button was blinking blue on the taskbar.

It surprised me every time, and I had to spend a short time (perhaps
less than a second?) wondering if I should go and see what it was, and
thanks to my incredibly poor focus, I needed a few seconds to get back
into whatever I was doing previously. To make my point clear: each
notification was costing me much more to get back into what I was doing
than to notice it.

Gnome 3 doesn't have those distractions and I'm incredibly grateful to
the developers. In fact, most of the time I turn off notifications in
the shell altogether so that I'm not distracted by uncontrollable
sources. And I can focus on my work, or relax without being interrupted,
and go see the message tray when I actually want to.

Oh, and I don't think I am a "Joe Average" or an "Aunt Tillie": I'm a
Fedora package maintainer, Python developer, a release engineer for an
in-house Linux distribution at $dayjob, and I spend most of my time in a
terminal.

Hopefully that will clear the myth that Gnome 3 is not for power users /
developers.

--
Mathieu