Hi,

This may be a long shot, but I am interested in repackaging some RPMs (for example, some of the Globus packages in EPEL, as well as grid software that my group builds) such that the software in them may be installed by unprivileged users, or into a non-standard location such as an NFS share. I'd like to use existing RPMs, preferably binaries, as a starting point to avoid duplicating work. (Naturally a lot of post-install scripting would be needed to fix binaries such that they'd work with the path they were installed into).

Have there been any projects with this goal in mind?
Have any of you had experience with this sort of thing and have tips, tools, etc. that might help me out in this?

Thanks in advance,
-Mat
--
-Matyas Selmeci