On 12/03/15 14:41, Adam Jackson wrote:
On Thu, 2015-03-12 at 13:45 +0000, Petr Pisar wrote:

However I can add my recent story: After hardening perl, loading a DSO
by perl failed. I believe the reason was the DSO had an undefined symbol
which was not defined in any SO_NEEDed libraries. But because the symbol
was never used at run-time, before hardening the executable, run-time
linking passed. But after hardening, the -znow feature caused resolving
all symbols at link time, including the missing symbol, so dlopen(3)
failed.

We may want to revisit this, honestly.  The actual proposal was just to
build executables as PIE, right?  Forcing -z now is a bit more than
maybe was expected.

On top of which there seems, despite a number of questions posted here since the change went live, very little assistance from the proposal owners with fixing packages that have been broken by it.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (t...@compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/