Hello,

On 03/22/2016 09:47 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 06:01:14PM +0100, Phil Sutter wrote:
Hi,

I am in the process of splitting the 'tc' utility off from iproute
package. The motivation for this comes from two things:

1) Due to it's xt/ipt action, tc depends on iptables.
2) iproute is part of the 'Core' group.

These two in combination lead to iptables being pulled into Core as a
dependency although not strictly necessary - tc is not necessary for
basic system functionality and ip itself works fine without.
iptables is also pulled in by systemd (at least), so this is not enough
to get it out of core.
The reason for this split is not to get iptables out of core, but to have a good way to build new iptables versions with libxtables so bumps. iproute2 is part of the build environment and depends on libxtables. With the split only the tc sub package will depend on iptables.

With a libxtables so bump it is either needed to also build iproute2 at the same time as iptables or to have a (temporary) libxtables provide for the old so version.

This is also an issue if a customer or user needs to build a newer iptables version on his system. There is no simple upgrade path for the most common case.

So far I added a new 'tc' subpackage to iproute.spec which will contain
tc, all related binaries and configs and relevant man pages. This
package depends on a version of iproute which is greater than the last
release before the split, which should prevent conflicts when updating.

For user convenience though, I would appreciate if an iproute package
update from a pre-split version would automatically pull the tc
subpackage as well. Is this possible without adding a dependency from
'iproute' to 'iproute-tc' (which would defeat the purpose, of course)?
You can use Obsoletes to achieve this. systemd went through a similar
split recently, see
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/systemd.git/commit/?h=f24&id=34bfceffe6cb26f5b5a9bdc5ab9c071eeb40f1c9

Zbyszek