Hey Michael,

this may help a bit, it's a high level view of the nm concurrency model.
I found it pretty tough to understand what was going on until I had this
picture.

I know the code seems kind of hard to follow at first, but this is
mostly an artifact of using glib for thread communication, and gobject
for objects, etc.  Once you get used to glib things seem alot more clear
cut.

one of my big questions/comments is around the 802.11 mesh device.   It
more or less assumes control of network manager to decide what type of
connection the XO has.   I suspect it would be better to align the
802.11 mesh device with the other devices and put this control function
into NetworkManagerPolicy.c instead.   I think this is a good discussion
topic for moving forward.

my other trouble spot would be the error path handling.   Once in a
while we see odd nm behaviour & I suspect this is because of a lost
message from a driver or avahi or whatever.   we probably want to either
built in some global fallback which will always keep the network up, or
to go over the error paths in detail - or both.   This may have improved
a lot in the Fedora 9 nm, I haven't looked at that.

I'll try and clean up the rest of my notes this week and forward them on
in case they can help.

Bill