As Roberto said: don't take Android and iOS as a reference point. I simply
don't want just another borked & crappy UX! Maemo Fremantle was nice at
filepicking, though the build-in file picker had no option of displaying
the whole FS. Harmattan was a step back, as most apps store there files in
mysterious or dumb place (some downloads go to .downloads, some to
Downloads, and the documents are stored in /home/user). Please, don't make
Sailfish "two steps forward, one hundred steps back" by making it an
Android/iOS clone.

The gallery might be usable at times, but nothing can replace a normal file
picker. Tabs would work great here: one for normal picking, 2nd for the
gallery.

--
Marcin