Well, the whole problem with repos and deps is not about the user side but
the server side ;) Maemo.org doesn't expose DiffIndex like Debian does but
normal Packages and Release (maybe compressed). DiffIndex would greatly
reduce download time.

About the storing list of apps on-device... Hmm... In my debian repo, it's
~1 KB per package. Let's assume 1 million apps. It's 1 GB. Much too much.
But if only installed apps were added as a repo? Let's assume a user has a
maximum of 10.000 apps. It means 10 MB and is acceptable with such a big
number of apps. Nokia did a deb-exec field for sources.list and a special
adapter.

--
Marcin