Hi Andrew,

To make matters worse, the plugin requirements may change over time, meaning that a system upgrade may break the app because the app didn't request access to some features required by the updated plugins.

Application shouldn't know/care about how does plugin work. Plugins are parts of the system and shouldn't be sandboxed.

How to you sandbox a native app without affecting plugins? They all live within the same process, the same virtual address space. I don't think it's possible to reliably track a system call back to the executable/shared library it originated from, even with DEP (data execution prevention) enabled. Without DEP it's plain impossible.

With the interpreted code like Java it's certainly doable. With the native code, I very much doubt it.

Cheers,
Slava

I don't know much about implementation, but Ubuntu Touch somehow archives this with AppArmor.

Regards,
Andrew