On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Mark Vojkovich wrote:

>Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 13:20:40 -0800 (PST)
>From: Mark Vojkovich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Debugging in RH8?
>
>Anyone have any tips on how to debug XFree86 modules under RH8?
>It looks like GDB hacked for modules doesn't work on that platform,
>or at least the version I have doesn't.

ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris/gdb-xfree86

Let me know if there are any problems.

Also, we are attempting to get XFree86 debug support integrated
into future FSF gdb.  The major holdup is basically nobody knows
who the original authors of the patches were from way back when
for proper attribution and copyright assignment and all the other
joys the FSF requires.

I know one of the authors was Paul Flinders, and I've got an
email address for him still.  Does anyone else know who all
worked on the XFree86 gdb patches?  The only history I know of it
is:

The version on the XFree86 site is 4.18 or somesuch.  I took that
and ported it about 60% functionally to gdb 5.0, which Paul then
found out about and finished off the parts that weren't working.
I later ported it to gdb 5.1.1, and it's partially ported to a
more recent version as well.

If anyone knows who all has been involved with this patch over
the years and can send me the information it would be quite
helpful.  I can then pass the info on to the gdb people at Red
Hat who are interested in completing this in a gdb-team-friendly
manner and contribute it to the FSF.

Also recently, Alex Larsson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> has developed the
ability to keep debug data data separate from binaries via
'striptofile', and have extended gdb to be able to read these
debug files at runtime on the fly. This is also being contributed
to the FSF.  This will also help greatly with debugging not just
X, but all apps/libs.

The combination of the two, will be quite useful.

Hope this helps.

TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris