On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Kendall Bennett wrote:

> Also where do I find the docs on the XF86Config file format. I need to
> read up some more on this.

        man XF86Config

> I see that sometimes the monitor section in the XF86Config file has a
> 'DisplaySize' value enabled (values like 400 300 seem typical). What is
> that value supposed to be? Is it the viewable size of the screen in
> millimeters or something? I assume it is optional?

Correct in all cases, although when "X -configure" creates those values
from DDC it currently uses a size derived from the monitor size in cm,
rather than the size in millimetres of any particular mode.

The screen dimensions reported by xdpyinfo are those calculated from
the pitch - DPI - which is in turn calculated from the DisplaySize;
rounding errors mean that the two sets of dimensions may not be the
same :-(

X -configure comments these values out because many apps used to get
confused by having precise dpi values and displayed silly fonts.
I think that at one time a 85x90 dpi screen would make Netscape
use 75x100dpi fonts. I note that Netscape 7 allows you to calibrate
the horizontal screen pitch, but not the vertical pitch.

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison         Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna