Feigning erudition, David Dawes wrote:

[evils of "make -k"]

% We could change the default, and let those who like the current behaviour
% run 'make WORLDOPTS=-k'.  Since the original reasons for this are less
% valid now (builds are much faster than they once were), and since it
% catches a lot of people out, maybe now is a good time to change the
% default.  Would anyone object strongly to that?

Heck, no. I object much more strongly to "make -k" and the attendant
confusion.

% >I made a link to /usr/local/bin/cpp in /usr/bin/cpp and everything ran
% >fine!
%
% Maybe it'd be better to have cpp set to just 'cpp'?  It used to have a
% full path because it used to be set to /lib/cpp, which isn't likely to
% be in anyone's search path.  BTW, the /bin/cpp setting broke my RH 5.2
% test build until I set it to /lib/cpp in host.def.  I don't remember
% why it was changed from /lib/cpp, unless recent Linux distros don't have
% that link anymore.

/lib/cpp was removed because the FHS decrees something to the effect
that /lib should contain only those libraries necessary to boot the
system. /usr/bin has, likewise, been decreed the place to drop most
user-visible binaries, such as cpp.

Kurt
--
Take it easy, we're in a hurry.