So 4.3.0, as it is distributed, doesn't build on FreeBSD alpha (I run
-current, but I think the same problems would exist for -stable).

The following patch makes the build work for me - it runs ok with my
matrox millenium II card (though my virtual consoles are permanently blank
after X runs the first time, until next reboot - anyone have ideas on
that?)

It does 3 things -- it makes a prototype for a function that doesn't have
one (I couldn't find a header file with this, so I just include it here --
seems ugly), it fixes a problem with system include files (needed an extra
one) and it fixes some broken #ifdef'd code (the #endif is several lines
past where it should be, making the file have systax errors (the function
never finds a final closing '}').

# diff xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/bsd/alpha_video.c
xc.working/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/bsd/alpha_video.c
35a36,38
> #  ifdef __FreeBSD__
> #      include <machine/sysarch.h>
> #   endif
38a42

53a58,59
> axpDevice bsdGetAXP(void);

262a269
> #endif
266d272
< #endif

Is there a better way to submit patches like this?  I've just subscribed
to the devel list in the last 10 minutes :).

Fred Clift