On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 02:51:13PM -0800, Kendall Bennett wrote:
>Mark Vojkovich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> > One area that appears to be severely lacking for the 'new' developer is
>> > guidance on how to set up the host.def file properly so that you can
>> > build XFree86 successfully on your system. The default xf86site.def is a
>> > good start, but it doesn't really explain things since everything is
>> > essentially commented out. You don't really know what stuff you *should*
>> > define to get a standard build on different systems.
>> >
>> > Perhaps a good start would be to have a directory with sample host.def
>> > files in it, especially a good 'default' file that can be used to build a
>> > complete XFree86 system on Linux and FreeBSD for instance. That is where
>> > a lot of developers could really use a default they can just copy to
>> > host.def and then do a 'make World'.
>>
>>   The xf86site.def IS the sample host.def.   You don't need the
>> host.def.  It merely overrides the xf86site.def and provides a way
>> to edit a file that doesn't get clobbered by CVS.  If 'make World'
>> doesn't just build without any editing at all, that is a bug.
>
>Well if you don't actually need a host.def file, then that needs to be
>*much* more clearly explained in the build documentation. I just went

Quoting from <http://www.xfree86.org/current/BUILD2.html>:

  2. Configuring the source before building

  In most cases it shouldn't be necessary to configure anything
  before building.

  If you do want to make configuration changes, it is recommended
  that you start by going to ...

David
--
David Dawes
Founder/committer/developer                     The XFree86 Project