Hi,

I'm not sure whether this is a bug or I'm screwing up somewhere, so I
thought I'd ask here.

Basically, I'm hitting the following error:

_X11TransSocketOpen: socket() failed for tcp
_X11TransSocketOpenCOTSClient: Unable to open socket for tcp
_X11TransOpen: transport open failed for tcp/littlegreen:0
x11drv: Can't open display: littlegreen:0.0

which I'm pretty sure is caused by my program hitting the OPEN_MAX limit
on the number of file descriptors. This app btw is JXTA/Java running
under Wine, and Java is known to be prolific with the number of file
descriptors it uses, see here:

http://www.t8o.org/~mca1001/fixed/

For some more info from somebody else who hit this issue with Java.

The reason I'm puzzled is that the Xtransint.h header makes it look like
OPEN_MAX should be defined as a call to sysconf(_SC_OPEN_MAX), but it's
not. A little test app that includes this header and prints OPEN_MAX and
sysconf(_SC_OPEN_MAX) returns 256 and 1024 respectively.

So, Linux is quite happy to give my app lots of FDs, but XFree contains
a manual check to see if it's over the limit, which breaks my app.

I'm going to have a hunt around, and see if there's a way to work around
this in Java or Wine, but I'd appreciate somebody explaining what's
going on here to me. I'm using redhat 8.

thanks -mike

--
Mike Hearn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
QinetiQ - Malvern Technology Center