>   Can you use those non-power-of-two mpeg surfaces as normal
>textures without limitations?  I don't think most hardware can
>do that, some possibly can't at all.

Well for one thing my XvMC surfaces ARE power of two, but that is
not the point. The HWMC engine used the very same texture engine
as is used for 3d. So while the planar surfaces are not _great_
for use as textures it can be done. It is probably just as
much bandwidth due to an internal conversion but the YUV planar
to YUV packed conversion could happen render time into a temporary
buffer.

In the end, I think this is more of a neat trick than anything else
so I don't think it matters a whole lot if there is an extra copy.

I keep thinking that some sort of Direct Rendered Video extension
would be very useful for X. You could then alloc a direct video
surface that was mappable. Populate it from the final write in
the decode process (From ANY codec) then either do a Put() a
Blend() or a CopytoPBuffer().  The CopytoPBuffer() may be
unnecessary if you could do a CreatePBufferFromXvD() to share
the surface. In such a scenario I think the ability to save the
copy is quite important.