On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 12:02:04 +0200 Martin Ehmsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled:

> Hi...
>
> I have a question (I can't seem to find the answer anywhere, so here
> goes):
> Given a Window (ex. Window w, from an event or somewhere else) is it
> possible to determine the program that owns that window?
> To be exact, I want the pid of the process owing the window.

in pure X... you can't. end of story. Now.. if clients were to put properties on their
windows with machine names, PID's etc... that would help

(I'd point you to a little handy LD_PRELOAD tool called ehack - it's in enlightenment
CVS under the e17/apps/e tree. it's an LD_PRELOAD library that forces an X app to put
many properties on their top-level windows. one of these is their PID) :)

I also think that the EWMH hints specify a PID property - but its not enforced.

> Thanks in advance
>
> Martin Ehmsen
> --
> How we do it ...
> Geometers do it with involutions.
> Geometres do it symmetrically.
> Graph theorists do it in four colours.
> Hilbert spacers do it orthogonally.

--------------- Codito, ergo sum - "I code, therefore I am" --------------------
熊耳 - 車君                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Mobile Phone: +61 (0)413 451 899    Home Phone: 02 9698 8615