On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 14:41:59 -0400, George Georgalis wrote:

>I'd like to rebuild XFree86 static (for running speed) and exclude a lot
>of binaries, like xterm (to reduce overall size), but these options have
>evaded me, even in xc/config/cf This build is for an embedded system and
>no regular user interface will be needed.

In virtually every case, dynamic modules are only loaded once at server start
time.  Static linking will not gain you any run-time performance.

For a server-only system, all you need to do is avoid copying the tool binaries
to your target system.  Whether they are built or not is irrelevant.

>Also whatever this means, I have the feeling it's a big deal regarding
>the cle266, is this something I need to fix in BIOS?
>
>(WW) via(0): Failed to set up write-combining range (0xd8000000,0x2000000)

It's not a "big" deal; write-combining is a performance optimization available
on Pentium-II and beyond.  It's possible the MTRR has already been set up; what
do you get if you cat /proc/mtrr?

--
- Tim Roberts, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.