On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 07:40:40PM +0200, Alexander Pohoyda wrote:

>> >I see. Is it updated in the Xserver manual page?
>> >I have the old version which goes like this:
>> >       -dpi resolution
>> >               sets the resolution of the  screen,  in  dots  per
>> >               inch.  To be used when the server cannot determine
>> >               the screen size from the hardware.
>>
>> I don't see how that description is inconsistent with what I said.
>> Maybe knowing how it works influences the way I read the
>> description?
>
>Sorry, I didn't imply the inconsistency in your words. I only think
>that current description could benefit from some more details.
>In my eyes, it would be worth mentioning that this option will apply
>to all screens.

OK.

>Also, I believe that it would be good to state that the -dpi option
>will overwrite the resolution of all screens even in the case when
>resolution is implicitely defined via Monitor/DisplaySize and
>Screen/Display/Modes options. If it's the case.

I guess we should state somewhere that command line options always
override parameters from elsewhere, just as parameters supplied explicitly
in the config file override auto-detected values, which in turn override
fall-back default values.  I'll try to make this clearer in the relevant
man pages.

David
--
David Dawes
Founder/committer/developer                     The XFree86 Project