Warren Turkal wrote:

> Michel Dänzer wrote:
>> In that case it can hardly be an X problem. Sounds rather like the
>> kernel (anything interesting in its output? Does the same thing happen
>> with 2.4 kernels?) or hardware.
>
> I am testing 4.2.1 at this point to see if I come up with the same issues
> as with 4.3.0.
>
> Warren Turkal

I came up with the same issues as with 4.3. It turns out that I was running
a not-the-latest version of the synaptics event driver for XFree86. I
looked in the changelog of the newest one, and it claims to have a work
around for a bug in XFree86 that could cause lockups. Does this bug still
exist?

Here is link to the driver:
http://w1.894.telia.com/~u89404340/touchpad/index.html

I guess my personal suspicions that it was only locking while I was using
the touchpad could have had some merit. I am sorry I did not mention that
earlier. Is the synaptics driver to be included in XFree86 anytime soon
since it is required with 2.6 kernels on computers with synaptics
touchpads? You cannot use a regular ps2 mouse driver without lots of
contortions (ie kernel options).

Warren Turkal
--
Treasurer, GOLUM, Inc.