Alessandro Temil wrote:
David Dawes wrote:

On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 11:25:35AM -0700, Tim Roberts wrote:

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 20:04:19 +0200, Alessandro Temil wrote:

Christian Zietz wrote:

The problem is: The current i810 driver does not only read the available
resolutions from the BIOS but also uses the BIOS to set the video mode.
So if the BIOS doesn't know of 1400x1050, it won't set it.
I think there are two solutions:
- Change the BIOS to know of 1400x1050. This should be easy for
manufacturer of the notebook but considerably harder than my 855patch
(for the video memory issue) for anyone else.

It is possible that the BIOS actually knows the mode, but has no VESA number for it. I have seen this at least on SiS hardware: SiS BIOSes maintain two mode number lists, one with internal mode numbers, one for VESA mode numbers. As the i810 BIOS, it has no VESA number for 1400x1050.

A closer look at the BIOS would perhaps help... if it turns out the BIOS has in internal mode number, one could change the mode switching from VESA to (direct) int10 and use the internal mode number(s).

Thomas

--
Thomas Winischhofer
Vienna/Austria