Russ Dill wrote:
On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 11:03, Alex Deucher wrote:

Is anyone on either of these lists familiar with XGI?  It seems to be a
new GPU manufacturer consisting of a merger of Trident and the SiS
graphics division.

here's their website:
http://www.xgitech.com/index.htm

They have some interesting products products (dual GPU solution).  Some
of their other stuff looks similar to existing SiS and trident
products.  They mention linux support, but I see no links to drivers
anywhere.  does anyone know anymore about this company?  Are they
writing xfree drivers or with any existing drivers work with these
chips?  SiS has has a bad record of giving out specs on it's newer
chips; trident I guess has been a little bit better.

I guess this company will do it like SiS did in the past: Make the chips, but leave the integration into boards to other manufacturers. (The "embedded-and-customized"-hell will never end...)

My bet would be that ECS and MSI will be among the first to design boards for these chips.

SiS spins off their 3D buisness and it gets named Xabre
Trident buys/merges, whatever with Xabre, and the new company is named
XGI
I think they it became official on the 13 or 14th, don't remember. So
for now, its just the Xabre products and the trident products
(cyberblade2, etc).

The "Volari"'s specs look indeed like the Xabre's, except for that "Cipher" video processor and the dual-GPU option. Apart from this (and 3D, of course), these chips should be well supported by the current SiS driver (well, as soon as I get the PCI IDs)

Thomas

--
Thomas Winischhofer
Vienna/Austria