Most modern drivers currently autodetect the proper video RAM
amount on all hardware they support.  Unfortunately, some X
configuration tools allow users to override this option too
easily, and if they "think" they have more video memory than they
really do have, then they can create problems for themselves
where those problems do not really need to exist, simply by
incorrectly overspecifying their videoram amount, or in some
cases underspecifying it - in particular with DRI and low memory.

I've had various problems tracked down to people specifying this
where they need not and should not.

As such, I'm trying to determine which video hardware really does
require a manually specified videoRAM setting in order for the
card to work properly.

My goal is to disable this option by default in drivers which
correctly detect video memory on all supported cards, at least
for our shipped drivers.  I've disabled this setting in our
radeon driver for example as that driver correctly detects video
memory on all supported hardware.

Which other drivers might be safe candidates for this?  All
Nvidia hardware should autodetect properly IIRC, except possibly
a few really old cards, in which case I could modify the driver
to only allow that option on cards that explicitly require it.
Ditto for the mga driver.

If people (both other developers and end users) who _require_
the VideoRAM option in order for the proper amount of video
memory to be useable with their card, could send me privately
their:  "lspci -vvn" or alternatively "scanpci" output (if lspci
isn't available to them), that would help me assess how feasible
this would be to do.

My end-goal here, is to determine which hardware truely requires
the VideoRAM option, and limit the usage of that option in our
own XFree86 packages to those specific drivers and cards to limit
the amount of bogus incoming bug reports and end user problems
created by unnecessary overconfiguration.  I might also add
another option to re-enable VideoRAM override if people see cases
where autodetection does work, but want to override it anyway,
such as a global "AllowVideoRAMOverride" setting.  ie: user has
card with bad videoram, but by limiting videoram to a lower
amount they can disable the bad area of memory.

If this is considered to be a useful thing to do in the upstream
XFree86 as well, please let me know and I'll be sure to
submit the end result for possible inclusion in 4.4.0.