On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 20:35:02 -0500, Sergey Babkin wrote:

>I've been running XFree86 4.3.0.1 on a machine with a particularly
>weird videocard and I've got the VESA driver craching.
>A little investigation has shown that it crashes in
>x86emuOp_mov_word_SR_RM()
>This happens because destreg is 0, because it's returned that way
>from decode_rm_seg_register(). rh is 4, and that's the value that
>decode_rm_seg_register() in decode.c (also linked from extras) does
>not understand. I've looked it up in the manual and actually
>the value 4 is for FS and value 5 is for GS.

So, the conclusion here is that the Intel 815 BIOS uses FS and GS?  That
is both surprising and disturbing.

The BIOS runs in real/v86 mode, and is not generally allowed to make any
assumptions about the addressing in the machine.  XFree86 doesn't map in
any low-memory sections other than the segments at 00000, A0000, B0000,
and C0000.  Given that, it is hard to imagine a scenario where DS and ES
are not completely sufficient to do the job.

Do you know what call is being made at the time of the crash?
--
- Tim Roberts, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.