On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 05:35:55PM -0500, David Dawes wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 02:30:16AM +1100, Tyler Retzlaff wrote:
> >I've been trying to build a 3rd party Xserver but have run into some
> >difficulty when trying to link two xfree86 libraries to it (libXfont
> >and libdix)
> >
> >During the link I'm getting warnings about multiple definitions of
> >various symbols defined in libXfont and in libdix (output below).  The
> >curious thing is this only happens if I try to link the Xserver w/ a
> >static libXfont.
>
> The functions in miscutil.o are normally provided elsewhere by the X
> server.  so the linker shouldn't be pulling it in.  Either it is getting
> pulled in because one or more of those functions isn't provided elsewhere,
> or because the linker semantics are "odd".

Ok, but how do I work around it, I've re-ordered my link line to
basically be libdix.a libXfont.a ..rest of archives.. So the only
thing that could be pulling in the second copy of the symbols is dix
itself.  Since they are provided by libdix I am therefore confused why
they are pulled in.

I am also still not sure why this only occurs w/ static libXfont
since I use the same X server for another platform that has shared
libs and it does not occur.

> The only function I don't see a warning for is register_fpe_functions().
> I can't find anything in the current source tree that refers to it.
> Maybe something in your other X server does?

My X server doesn't.

Any further ideas?

Tyler R. Retzlaff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> http://www.NetBSD.org