Ross Boylan wrote (in a message from Thursday 1)
 > I'm interested in building xterm for debugging on a system that
 > already has a full install of XFree 4.2.1 (Debian GNU/Linux).  I
 > realize most of you are probably thinking about newer versions of
 > XFree, but I'm hoping someone might have some useful advice on this
 > list.
 >
 > Any tips about how to do a partial, debugging build?  Or about xterm?
 > I notice the comments saying the code is a mess; I'm really just
 > interested in identifying the font it thinks its using and the font
 > lookup and rendering system that it relies on--core, xft1, or xft2.
 > (xterm gets me a font that is very s p a c e d o u t, while xterm -fn
 > fixed works fine.  I've been unable to duplicate the font I get with
 > xterm alone using any specific -fn or -fa argument).

There are some instructions on how to rebuild parts of the XFree86
source tree for debugging here:

<http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/XF4/README?rev=1.12&content-type=text/plain>

This was written for the XFree86 tree in OpenBSD, but most of it
applies regardless of the operating system.

                                        Matthieu