> Does anyone have a good reason to not do this?

I seem to remember an "rpath considered harmful" message from
around the time the libraries changed from R5 to R6.  The
author said to use rpath-link instead of rpath.  I don't know
if that would do what you want (sorry, it's been so long I
don't even remember the difference between the two.  So
blackball me :) ) but it seems like a less draconian
alternative.  I guess it depends on whether you want to leave
shared library configuration up to the administrator / ldconfig
or hard-wire it in.

=====
--
Craig Groeschel  >ladder91 at yahoo dot com<  AT '00
Tread lightly.  Leave no trace.  Never forget.