>I am given a constant r, g and b as each a separate parameter, and an
>a8r8g8b8 texture which by Mark's explanation is for providing an alpha
>value for each of the r, g, b components. But the format is _a8_r8g8b8;
>if the components' alphas are in the r8g8b8 part, what's to happen with

>the a8 part of that texture?

I did some reading and Mark's explanation seems correct when
componentAlpha is set the constant r, g, b, and a should be modulated
by the per-pixel r, g, b, and a.

When componentAlpha is not set then you would be expected, I think,
to just extract the Alpha. That would be consistent with the drop
shadow idea.

Are you indicating that newer libxrender and libxft will use the
component alpha method? Fedora and RH9 seem to use the PICT_a8
method. Are the libs moving toward PICT_a8 or toward PICT_a8r8g8b8
(which one is newer?)

If the a8r8g8b8 is newer and Mark just removed it, then no drivers
will be able to accelerate the common path until XFree 4.4. Wouldn't
it be better to just let the 2 or 3 drivers that have RENDER
acceleration punt and thereby allow drivers to pick up support
for it before 4.4.