Benjamin Herrenschmidt writes:

 > Losing the ability of porting code straight from these to the fbdev
 > drivers will basically kill all my efforts to turn the kernel radeonfb
 > into a decent driver as I need to be able to re-use the code ATI puts
 > in the XFree version. I suppose the same will happen to linux rivafb.

Relating to that: exchanging code between XFree86 and kernel has been a
one-way road so far. The GPL the kernel is under doesn't allow us to
port back improvements that have been made to the kernel to our drivers
Even though this isn't covered by the GPL the author of the driver
or the changes could still give the permission to do so.

I whish there was a better exchange between kernel fbdev developers
and driver developers here.

Egbert.