On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Zhang Weiwu wrote:

>Hello. I'm zhangweiwu from the minichinput project. This is the
>first time I post to this list, so please forgive me if I posted
>to the wrong list.
>
>To be brief: minichinput is a Chinese input method server. Can
>XFree86 accept minichinput as its subproject?
>
>Minichinput is one of the most widely used *nix input server
>among the simplified Chinese users (or at least I think so).
>Linux distros like RedHat and Turbolinux adopted minichinput as
>the default input server. minichinput handles both GB, Big5 and
>UTF8, it is lightweighted, doesn't rely on gtk/qt.
>
>Who/what list should I contact if I wish to make minichinput a
>subproject of XFree86, and release as part of it? Do XFree86
>accept this kind of subprojects?

Personally, I think having minichinput as it's own separate piece
of software is the best thing to do.  Everyone is currently
trying to get rid of this massive monolithic source code tree
which includes everything under the sun.  It is easier to
maintain applications like minichinput if it is it's own project,
and it's easier to package, and to update.  Having to recompile
the entirity of XFree86 to fix a small bug in a single tiny
application is going backwards IMHO.

So, while I can't speak for the XFree86 project at all, and I'm
definitely not trying to do so, I can at least give you my
viewpoint from a distribution engineering perspective.  We will
continue to ship minichinput as a separately packaged rpm package
that is not included with the XFree86 sources, even if the
XFree86 project were to include it in their tarball, much in the
same way that we now currently ship xterm as a separate package.

Other distribution X maintainers that I am in contact with daily
on IRC share this sentiment generally, and look forward to having
more modular X sources to deal with in the future as well.

Note that this is not to discourage your idea in any way, but
rather just to indicate that it wont be useful to everyone out
there for this to be included directly in XFree86.  It may
however benefit other OSs and distributions which XFree86
supports which may not already ship minichinput, such as
commercial proprietary OSs however.

Hope this feedback is useful.

Take care,
TTYL