If you want tearless rendering you should be flipping.  Ie. render
to a non displayed portion of the framebuffer, then call XDGASetViewport
to display it after the copy is finished.  See the DGA test apps at
http://www.xfree86.org/~mvojkovi/, specifically texture.tar.gz.
If the texture and skull demos aren't tearless, there is a bug in the
DGA driver support for your card.

                        Mark.