Thanks everyone, it seems there is no easy way to get net amount as tax on
purchase line.

A few things to note:
You CAN do tax adjustment on PO and SO and not just general ledger (use the
SETUP button on the order screens)

An idea might be to create a tax group/code such that the purchase line is
marked with a tax code (e.g. 'import tax') which has zero tax percent and
the item should be posted to a temp tax ledger account. Then in the tax
code setup create a tax reporting code for this code (e.g. "IMPORT TAX that
needs to be converted to actual tax"). This way using the tax report the
user can find the amount that needs to be converted into proper tax
transaction, they can do this by passing a general ledger journal and adjust
it all as tax amount. (I have yet to try this but is the only way I can see
if the customer requires the transaction to be marked with the tax code
rather than just posting the amount into the tax ledger account - which
could be easily done by just setting up the item posting).

Thanks for all the feedback
James