From: Malcolm Burtt <malcolm.bu...@touchstone.co.uk>
To: "axapta-knowledge-vill...@yahoogroups.com"
<axapta-knowledge-vill...@yahoogroups.com>; dev ax
<development-axapta@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wed, August 18, 2010 12:53:16 PM
Subject: [development-axapta] RE: [Axapta-Knowledge-Village] when to use Index
and index hint

Hi

For most queries, the answer is to use neither.

“Index Hint” overrides the SQL Query optimiser and forces the use of the
specified index – which is ok if you’re sure that the optimiser is picking a
bad
query plan and that using “index hint” allows your query to run faster but most
of the time the optimiser is better at picking the right index than you are so
you should let it do its job. When you do need to tune the query you should
consider other hints (e.g. forcenestedloop, etc) alongside “index hint” to get
the most effective query plan for your data.

I can’t think of a good reason to use “Index” at all. It simply ensures that
the
data is returned sorted in the index order which you can already achieve with
the “Order By” clause with the important advantage that the sort order would
not
change if someone altered the index definition in some way.

Regards

Malcolm Burtt
Touchstone Group
People - Partnership - Solutions